Canada Crown withdraws charge, ending Calgary traffic death trial

15:01  13 october  2017
15:01  13 october  2017 Source:   calgaryherald.com

James Forcillo's attempted murder conviction justified in Sammy Yatim shooting death, Crown tells appeal court

  James Forcillo's attempted murder conviction justified in Sammy Yatim shooting death, Crown tells appeal court The Ontario Court of Appeal has now heard two opposing views of how the fatal shooting of Sammy Yatim played out on a Toronto streetcar four years ago. Toronto Police Const. James Forcillo, who was found guilty of attempted murder in the 18 year-old's death, is challenging his conviction. He was sentenced to six years in prison, but is now free on bail.James Forcillo appeal challenges crucial interpretation of Sammy Yatim streetcar killingForcillo's lawyers have put forward several grounds for appeal, including a complaint about how the nine shots fired at Yatim were interpreted during his trial.

The Crown abruptly withdrew a careless driving charge Thursday, ending a trial stemming from the death of a child struck by a pick-up truck while crossing a Bowness street. Prosecutor Rosalind Greenwood told Provincial Court Judge Josh Hawkes on Thursday she carefully reviewed her case

Calgary . The trial for a Nova Scotia doctor police accused of trafficking tens of thousands of painkillers took an unexpected turn Thursday, with the Crown deciding to withdraw some of the most serious charges .

The Crown abruptly withdrew a careless driving charge Thursday, ending a trial stemming from the death of a child struck by a pick-up truck while crossing a Bowness street. 

Prosecutor Rosalind Greenwood told Provincial Court Judge Josh Hawkes on Thursday she carefully reviewed her case and decided she should no longer proceed.

“The Crown has an obligation to continually assess its case,” Greenwood said, at the start of day two of a scheduled three-day trial against Calgarian Tanis Lambert.

“The Crown has concluded there is no reasonable likelihood of conviction and the Crown is withdrawing the charge.”

Triple-murder trial begins in Red Deer for man accused of killing parents, sister

  Triple-murder trial begins in Red Deer for man accused of killing parents, sister A six-week murder trial is set to begin in Red Deer on Tuesday, almost four years after Gordon, Sandra and Monica Klaus were killed on their family farm near Castor, Alta. Jason Klaus and his friend, Joshua Frank, both face three counts of first-degree murder, along with arson charges.He had just lost his parents and sister in a house fire, and in an exclusive interview on Christmas Eve 2013, Klaus insisted he had nothing to do with their deaths.

Murder charge withdrawn in case of Te Awamutu death - but three alternate charges remain. His trial will go ahead in the High Court in Hamilton on June 18 this year. As Justice Sarah Katz noted, the Crown A Blenheim petrol pump attendant has been stopping traffic with his unique dance moves.

Traffic . Calgary Stampeders release QB Ricky Stanzi. Stampeders know that Grey Cup questions are unavoidable. Senators trade scandal-ridden Mike Hoffman, who ends up with Panthers. Austrian Tom Sipos Crowned elit® Vodka Art of the Martini Global Winner.

Lambert had been charged with careless driving under the provincial Traffic Safety Act following a May 6, 2016, collision in which four-year-old Avayah (Avi) Toulon was struck and killed.

The charge carries a maximum punishment of a $2,000 fine.

Hawkes said judges don’t normally comment when the Crown decides to cease a prosecution, but he felt he should in this instance.

“In my opinion, this represents an entirely appropriate exercise of prosecutorial discretion,” he said.

The judge noted it was “a very difficult case.”

“I believe as a representative of the community I have a responsibility to convey . . . our deepest sympathies to the family involved,” Hawkes said. “This is an enormous tragedy; its impact will continue to affect them and I suspect Ms. Lambert for a very long time.”

Suspect in gas-and-dash trial found guilty of second-degree murder

  Suspect in gas-and-dash trial found guilty of second-degree murder Suspect in gas-and-dash trial found guilty of second-degree murder in the death of gas attendant Jayesh Prajapati in 2012. A Toronto man has been found in the death of a gas attendant in North York in 2012. Max Edwin Tutiven pleaded not guilty, but admitted at trial that he hit and dragged Jayesh Prajapati, 44, with his SUV after stealing $112.85 worth of gas from the North York Shell station Sept. 15, 2012. Tutiven said he never saw the gas attendant near his vehicle, and did not realize he had hit a person until a couple of days later.

Select a new default local region: British Columbia. Calgary . The judge at Dellen Millard's first-degree murder trial in the death of his father, Wayne, has ruled that key evidence from a Crown witness will not be Dellen Millard, 32, is facing a first-degree murder charge in the death of his father, Wayne.

CTV Lethbridge. Poll Results. Traffic . Features. Many were outside of court again on Friday and were elated when the charges were withdrawn . The Crown says new details emerged in the case and that was what prompted the dismissal.

After the decision, Lambert declined to comment other than to say “it was a terrible accident.”

She still faces civil litigation.

Before withdrawing the charge, Greenwood met privately with the girl’s parents, Samantha and Craig Toulon, to explain her decision.

The parents declined to speak to the media afterwards, but their civil lawyer Stephen Nelson spoke on their behalf.

“They’re very disappointed and very emotional today about the result and they’re disappointed in the job that the Calgary Police Service and the Crown did in the way this matter was handled,” Nelson said.

He said he felt other witnesses to the incident should have been called to testify.

“We’re a little confused as to why (they weren’t); in any event, we look forward to the whole story coming out eventually,” he said.

Samantha Toulon testified she was walking with her husband and their six children on 79 Street N.W. when they attempted to cross 47 Avenue.

'I screamed stop': Calgary mom watched in horror as pickup truck ran over her child

  'I screamed stop': Calgary mom watched in horror as pickup truck ran over her child Calgary mom Samantha Toulon watched in horror as a pickup truck ran over and killed her little daughter in a Bowness intersection, court heard Wednesday. Toulon, 41, said she and her family, her husband Craig and their six children, including daughter Avayah (Avi), were just returning home on May 6, 2016, from an outing to the river when they were crossing 47th Avenue at 79th Street N.W.Toulon said her eldest child, 13-year-old Carlo, had cleared the intersection while her middle children, aged nine, eight, seven and 4 1/2-year-old Avi, were still crossing when she saw a truck approach.

CTV Lethbridge. Poll Results. Traffic . Features. Sports. Crown drops charges against Okotoks farmer. Pride and pain: Celebrations darkened by deaths . Watch More CTV News Calgary Videos. Judge clears way for trial over Kanye 'exclusive'.

On the day of trial , the Crown withdrew the charge , resulting in no criminal conviction. 100, 111 - 5th Avenue SW Calgary , Alberta T2P 3Y6. Phone: (403) 9754529 URL of Map.

She said while four of her children, including Avi, were in the unmarked crosswalk, Lambert’s Ford F-150 entered the intersection and ran over her daughter.

The mother insisted under cross-examination by defence lawyer Alain Hepner that his client never stopped before the collision occurred.

That conflicted with the evidence of neighbour Steven Stredulinsky, who watched as the tragedy unfolded.

Stredulinsky said Lambert’s pickup stopped before the crosswalk, he believed, to let people cross.

He said when the truck began to move he saw both the front end and back end jump up, consistent with Samantha Toulon’s testimony that the vehicle’s front and back tires rolled over her daughter.

Hepner said his client is relieved she is no longer facing prosecution.

“She’s pleased that the charge was withdrawn because her version of events and her testimony would’ve been very similar to the testimony of the second civilian witness,” he said.

Nelson said despite the end of the prosecution, he is confident he’ll win the Toulons’ civil case against Lambert, expecting a settlement without trial.

“We have no doubt that ultimately we’ll be successful in that action,” he said.

KMartin@postmedia.com

On Twitter: @KMartinCourts

 

Murder trial to finally shed light on Laura Babcock mystery .
Murder trial to finally shed light on Laura Babcock mystery The long-awaited trial of the two men accused of murdering Laura Babcock is expected to answer many questions, beginning with the most basic — what happened to her?The jury trial that begins on Monday in Toronto will be overseen by Ontario Superior Court Justice Michael Code and is expected to last 10 weeks.During that time, the Crown will at last reveal its evidence about the disappearance of Babcock while attempting to prove her former boyfriend and his pal were behind it.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!