Canada What we know about Bruce McArthur’s alleged victims

07:11  30 january  2018
07:11  30 january  2018 Source:   National Post

Man missing since 2010 was romantically involved with accused killer Bruce McArthur, says friend

  Man missing since 2010 was romantically involved with accused killer Bruce McArthur, says friend A gay man who disappeared in 2010 had a romantic history with suspected murderer Bruce McArthur, according to the missing man's friend. Kevin Nash says Skandaraj Navaratnam, known to friends as Skanda, met McArthur in 1999 and they began a relationship in the early 2000s.

Toronto landscaper Bruce McArthur has been charged with the murders of Selim Esen, 44, Andrew Kinsman, 49, Majeed Kayhan, 58, Soroush Mahmudi, 50, and Dean Lisowick, 47. Here’s what we know about McArthur ’ s alleged victims . Andrew Kinsman. Andrew Kinsman, 49.

Bruce McArthur ' s alleged victims . Selim Esen. 44-years-old. Reported missing on April 14, 2017, from Yonge and Bloor streets area. In a sexual relationship with McArthur “for some time,” according to Det.

Toronto landscaper Bruce McArthur has been charged with the murders of Selim Esen, 44, Andrew Kinsman, 49, Majeed Kayhan, 58, Soroush Mahmudi, 50, and Dean Lisowick, 47. Here’s what we know about McArthur’s alleged victims.

Andrew Kinsman

Kinsman: Andrew Kinsman, 49.© Toronto Police Handout Andrew Kinsman, 49.

Police previously said McArthur and Kinsman, 49, had a relationship that was “sexual” and had lasted “for some time.” Kinsman went missing from the Cabbagetown area in downtown Toronto on June 26, 2017.

At McArthur’s first court appearance, Alphonso King — who knew Kinsman through volunteer work — described his late friend as “very well-known in the activist community.”

Bruce McArthur murder investigation unusual with missing bodies, expert says

  Bruce McArthur murder investigation unusual with missing bodies, expert says An organized killer is one who leaves no body behind — making a murder investigation all the more challenging for police and prosecutors, an expert says. Thomas Hargrove, founder and chairman of the U.S.-based Murder Accountability Project, told the Star that an unrecovered body, or bodies, “speaks to a very organized killer.” Hargrove spoke to the Star on Wednesday, several days after the arrest of Bruce McArthur, 66, who has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Andrew Kinsman, 49, and Selim Esen, 44. The bodies of Kinsman and Esen have not been found. At a news conference last Thursday, police said they believe there are more victims. Hargrove said there are both organized and disorganized killers, with disorganized killers tending to be more opportunistic and “they kill when they can.” “Often they don’t own cars because nobody would sell them a car or allow them to have a driver’s licence.” Disorganized killers disproportionately have mental illness or mental challenges, he added. But organized killers are different, Hargrove explained. “They plan. They look for victims — they can still be opportunistic — but they look for particular victims and they make a plan to avoid detection and capture.” Hargrove described murder investigations where no body has been found as “devilishly hard to solve.” The murder charges against McArthur haven’t been tested in court. “It’ll be a difficult case to get a conviction on.

Toronto landscaper Bruce McArthur has been charged with the murders of Selim Esen, 44, Andrew Kinsman, 49, Majeed Kayhan, 58, Soroush Mahmudi, 50, and Dean Lisowick, 47. Here’s what we know about McArthur ’ s alleged victims .

This story has been updated with new information about alleged killer Bruce McArthur . Toronto police have finally confirmed the gay community’ s worst fears: two men who disappeared from the Church and Wellesley village were murdered, and police are investigating whether there are more victims .

At a press conference soon after McArthur’s appearance, Karen Coles, Kinsman’s sister, said her brother had wanted to be a paleantologist as a young boy. Another sister, Patricia Kinsman, remembered him for his tie-dye shirts.

Selim Esen

Esen: Selim Esen, 44.© Toronto Police Handout Selim Esen, 44.

Esen went missing from the Yonge and Bloor area on April 14, 2017. His disappearance — along with that of Kinsman — became part of the police investigation Project Prism, launched in August.

When McArthur’s arrest was first announced, Det. Stg. Hank Idsinga said Esen — who, like Kinsman and McArthur, used dating apps — had a relationship with the accused, but that this relationship was less clear than the one Kinsman and McArthur had shared.

“We don’t know what his exact relationship with Mr. Esen was leading up to the (alleged) murder, whether he had just met him that day or whether he had known him for some time, we just don’t know that yet,” Idsinga said.

What we know so far about Bruce McArthur

  What we know so far about Bruce McArthur Toronto police are calling the case ‘unprecedented,’ and the likes of which Toronto has never seen , alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur has been charged with five counts of first-degree murder.READ MORE: Are police doing enough to find missing people in Toronto’s Gay Village?Here is what we know so far about the man at the centre of this case: Bruce McArthur was first arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree murder on Jan. 18 in connection with the disappearance of Andrew Kinsman and Selim Esen, both reported missing from the Church and Wellesley streets area at separate times last year.

Toronto landscaper Bruce McArthur has been charged with the murders of Selim Esen, 44, Andrew Kinsman, 49, Majeed Kayhan, 58, Soroush Mahmudi, 50, and Dean Lisowick, 47. Here’s what we know about McArthur ’ s alleged victims . Andrew Kinsman. Andrew Kinsman, 49.

Toronto police have charged Bruce McArthur with five counts of first-degree murder. Adrian Ghobrial has the latest on the serial killer investigation and what we know about McArthur ’ s alleged victims .

Majeed Kayhan

Kayhan: Majeed Kayhan, 58.© Toronto Police Handout Majeed Kayhan, 58.

Kayhan, known to frequent the “Village” area around Church and Wellesley, was last seen Oct. 14, 2012. He had previously been a part of an earlier police investigation known as Project Houston.

The probe ran from Nov. 2012 until April 2014 and looked at Kayhan’s disappearance as well as those of Skanda Navaratnam, 40, who last seen near Church and Wellesley on Sept. 6, 2010; and Abdulbasir Faizi, 42, who was reported missing on Dec. 29, 2010 and was last seen in the same area.

“No evidence was found which would classify anyone as a suspect in any criminal offence relating to the disappearances,” Idsinga said of that investigation Monday.

Dean Lisowick

Lisowick: Dean Lisowick, 47.© Toronto Police Handout Dean Lisowick, 47.

Lisowick was known to have used the city’s shelter system. He was never reported missing, but police say they believe he was murdered between May 2016 and July 2017. On Monday, David Lynch at Good Shepherd Ministries said he didn’t meet Lisowick in person, but confirmed he had stayed there for about 10 nights, around five in November 2015 and five in May 2016.

Restrained man found in alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur's apartment at time of arrest, sources say

  Restrained man found in alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur's apartment at time of arrest, sources say Sources have confirmed that a man was found restrained in Bruce McArthur's apartment on the morning he was arrested.Sources say that officers, who were observing McArthur, saw a man enter his home in Thorncliffe Park on the morning of Thursday, Jan. 18. They say officers believed the man to be in imminent danger.

Images released of suspect in 'unprovoked' Stock Yards attack Jan 29, 2018, 1:09 PM What we know about Bruce McArthur ' s alleged victims Jan 29, 2018, 1:01 PM Bruce McArthur : What we know so far Jan 29, 2018, 12:58 PM.

Toronto police say Bruce McArthur ' s newly identified victims do not fit the profile of the two men first connected to the alleged serial killer, and that " We don't know how many more victims there are going to be, but it's more than the gay community," Idsinga said. "It encompasses the city of Toronto."

“This is such a terrible tragedy,” Lynch said. “The homeless are such a vulnerable group anyway. He could have dropped in more than that, for meals and things like that, but we have no records of that. When people stop coming, it’s not unusual for us.”

Saroush Mahmudi

Mahmudi: Soroush Mahmudi, 50.© Toronto Police Handout Soroush Mahmudi, 50.

Mahmudi was reported missing by family in Scarborough in August 2015, police said, adding that like Lisowick, he does not fit the profile of the missing from Project Houston: men of Middle Eastern descent who spent time in the gay village.

“I’m not going to get into specifics about what their relationship was with Mr. McArthur at this time,” Idsinga said after McArthur was charged with the murder of three more men.

National Post staff, with files from Victor Ferreira and The Canadian Pres

Here is a timeline of key events in the Bruce McArthur case:

October 2012 — Majeed Kayhan, 58, of Toronto, is reported missing.

November 2012 — Police launch Project Houston to investigate the disappearance of three men from Toronto’s gay village, including Kayhan.

'No truth' to story Bruce McArthur cannibalized victims, detective says

  'No truth' to story Bruce McArthur cannibalized victims, detective says Forensic pathologists are sifting through the contents of at least 15 planters in connection with the Bruce McArthur case, the lead investigator confirmed, as police continued their work Saturday at a property in Toronto where human remains were found. Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga told CBC Toronto Saturday that human remains may not be found in all of the planters. "But we have seized anything that the canine units have hit on," he said in an email. Idsinga also refuted a story published at an online gossip site suggesting that McArthur may have cannibalized the alleged victims.

Bruce McArthur : What we know so far. by News Staff. Posted Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm EST. From weed to wages: Ontario marijuana producers hit by minimum pay rate hike Jan 29, 2018, 9:26 AM Alleged serial killer buried dismembered victims ' remains in planter boxes: Cops Jan 29, 2018, 8:47

TORONTO – Toronto police have charged 66-year-old landscaper Bruce McArthur with five counts of first-degree murder, calling him an alleged serial killer. Here is a glance at the alleged victims . Karen Coles said he was “well- known in his community” — a hard worker who was “loved by all.”

April 2014 — Police close Project Houston, saying none of their findings would classify anyone as a suspect of a criminal offence.

August 2015 — Soroush Mahmudi, 50, of Toronto, is reported missing.

May 2016 – July 2017 — Police believe Dean Lisowick, 47, of no fixed address, was killed by McArthur during this timespan.

April 14, 2017 — Selim Esen, 44, is reported missing from the area of Toronto’s Yonge and Bloor streets.

June 26, 2017 — Andrew Kinsman, 49, is reported missing from the area of Parliament and Winchester streets.

August 2017 — Police launch Project Prism to investigate the disappearances of Esen and Kinsman.

September 2017 — Project Prism officers identify Bruce McArthur “as someone to be included or excluded as being involved in the disappearance of Andrew Kinsman.”

Dec. 8, 2017 — Police Chief Mark Saunders says the force will review its practices in missing persons investigations. He denies that there is evidence suggesting a serial killer is walking the streets of Toronto.

Jan. 17, 2018 — Police uncover evidence suggesting McArthur was responsible for both Kinsman and Esen’s deaths, along with the deaths of other unidentified people.

Jan. 18, 2018 — McArthur is arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Esen and Kinsman. Police say McArthur is believed to be responsible for other deaths.

Jan. 19, 2018 — McArthur has his first court appearance.

Jan. 29, 2018 — McArthur is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Mahmudi, Kayhan and Lisowick. Police call McArthur an alleged serial killer and say more victims may be identified.

Police recover remains of six people in Bruce McArthur investigation .
Police recover remains of six people in Bruce McArthur investigationDet. Sgt. Hank Idsinga says more charges are expected against McArthur, who is currently charged with first-degree murder in the presumed deaths of five men.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!