Canada Toronto police to provide update on alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur

05:25  11 april  2018
05:25  11 april  2018 Source:   Toronto Star

Toronto Pride wants police to pull parade bid

  Toronto Pride wants police to pull parade bid The organization behind one of the world's largest pride parades is asking Toronto police to withdraw an application to take part in the event this year. In recent months, relations between the police and the city's LGBTQ community have become strained over the handling of the case involving accused serial killer Bruce McArthur.

Toronto police probed a home linked to Bruce McArthur , located on Mallory Crescent in the area of Bayview and Moore avenues. As It Happens. 'I was so horrified,' says Toronto woman whose home is linked to alleged serial killer .

Bruce McArthur , 66, is seen in this photograph. Det-Sgt Hank Idsinga is seen after briefing the media at a Toronto property where alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur worked, Thursday, Feb.


Toronto police released this photograph of an alleged victim of Bruce McArthur’s, in hopes that someone could identify him.© Provided by Toronto Star Toronto police released this photograph of an alleged victim of Bruce McArthur’s, in hopes that someone could identify him.

Toronto police are expected to hold a news conference Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. to provide an update on alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.

Police are expected to provide updates on three aspects of the investigation into McArthur.

It has been more than a month since police took the rare step of releasing a photograph of an alleged victim of McArthur’s, in hopes that someone could identify him.

Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga said that the image had been “cleaned up,” and data from the photo released on the Toronto police website shows it was altered, including by a photoshopping tool to erase and smudge parts of the image.

Bruce McArthur investigators not ruling out 1970s Gay Village cold cases

  Bruce McArthur investigators not ruling out 1970s Gay Village cold cases Bruce McArthur investigators not ruling out 1970s Gay Village cold cases“I’ve got no evidence to say he’s linked to any of the cases, but bearing in mind the number of people we’re alleging he’s killed, we’re going to take a close look at some outstanding cold cases from the Gay Village in Toronto,” said Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga.

Toronto police say they have now found the remains of a total of six people at a property where alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur worked. Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga says he expects more charges against the 66-year-old landscaper.

In a rare, “last resort” move, Toronto police have released the photo of a dead “John Doe” — a gruesome development intended to help investigators tally the alleged victims of accused serial killer Bruce McArthur .

While Idsinga said the man is deceased in the photograph, he would not say how investigators obtained the image, nor would he speak on the man’s cause of death.

McArthur, 66, was arrested on Jan. 18 and has been charged in the deaths of Selim Esen, Skandaraj “Skanda” Navaratnam, Andrew Kinsman, Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi and Dean Lisowick.

All six men vanished from in or around Toronto’s Gay Village between 2010 and 2016. Investigators have been combing through evidence at properties linked to McArthur, who is alleged to have hidden human remains in planters placed at homes where he worked as a landscaper.

Police have combed through as many as 20 such planters over the course of their investigation. Several such planters were seized at a home in Leaside, where McArthur was connected through his landscaping work.

McArthur will be appearing in court Wednesday morning.

With files from Wendy Gillis

Review will examine how Toronto police handle missing persons cases .
The Toronto Police Services Board has struck a small committee with the tall order of examining how missing persons cases are probed by its officers — an independent review commissioned in the wake of the ongoing investigation into alleged serial murderer Bruce McArthur. At a meeting at police headquarters Wednesday, the civilian board approved the members of the committee, which will examine Toronto police practices and conduct related to missing persons investigations, and compile a list of best practices.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!