Canada Vincent Nadon, University of Ottawa named in $210M lawsuit

10:53  05 july  2018
10:53  05 july  2018 Source:   cbc.ca

Former uOttawa hockey players found not guilty of sexual assault

  Former uOttawa hockey players found not guilty of sexual assault Former uOttawa hockey players found not guilty of sexual assaultOntario Court Justice Chantal M. Brochu delivered her verdict on Monday, slightly more than four months after hearing testimony from seven witnesses during a two-week French-language trial.

56-year-old Vincent Nadon of Chelsea, Que., is charged with sexual assault and voyeurism after a patient from the University of Ottawa Health He wore a red jacket and stood silently, answering "yes" when asked if he understood he can't contact the complainant, whose name can not be published.

The University of Ottawa is the world’s largest bilingual (English-French) university , where students can choose to study in French, English or both. Located in the nation’s capital, the university offers ready access to major Canadian institutions.

a sign on the side of a building: The University of Ottawa and Dr. Vincent Nadon could face a class action claiming a total of $220 million. © Andrew Foote/CBC The University of Ottawa and Dr. Vincent Nadon could face a class action claiming a total of $220 million.

A law firm has announced plans for a class action against Dr. Vincent Nadon and the University of Ottawa seeking $110 million in damages from Nadon and an additional $100 million from the school.

Nadon is currently facing 94 criminal charges including several counts of voyeurism and sexual assault. It has been alleged that he filmed patients without their consent during medical procedures.

Flaherty McCarthy LLP announced the lawsuit in a news release issued Tuesday evening. 

High-profile sexual assault acquittal sets women back, says advocate

  High-profile sexual assault acquittal sets women back, says advocate An Ottawa women's rights advocate says the verdict in a high-profile sexual assault case involving two former University of Ottawa hockey players could discourage victims from coming forward. ​A judge delivered her decision Monday and found Guillaume Donovan and David Foucher not-guilty of sexual assault after a trial earlier this year. The two men were charged after a woman accused them of forcing themselves upon her following a Gee-Gees away game in Thunder Bay in February 2014.

The University of Ottawa is the largest bilingual (English-French) university in the world. Located at the heart of Canada’s capital.

Ottawa doctor Vincent Nadon is now facing more than 50 charges of sexual assault, part of an Ottawa police Nadon had been practising family medicine at the University of Ottawa Health Services Clinic. He gave his name when the judge asked, but was otherwise silent during the appearance.

The statement of claim alleges Nadon filmed patients will working as a doctor at University of Ottawa Health Services (UOHS).

Candace Mak, a lawyer with the firm, said a civil lawsuit won't erase the alleged trauma, but it can help.

"There is only so much that the criminal justice system can do," she said.  "At least we can try in our own way to help these [alleged] victims."

She said students should have felt safe going to a doctor's clinic at the university, which is why the school has been named in the suit.   

University responds 

In a statement responding to the suit, the school said UOHS is not connected to the school directly. 

"The university does not manage, operate or supervise the services provided by UOHS. UOHS is an independent service provider contracted to offer health services to uOttawa students and employees," said spokesperson Isabelle Mailloux Pulkinghorn in an email. "The university intends to defend this action"

The lawsuit, which has not been certified, so far names just one claimant.

Mak said if victims want to come forward, they're welcome to join the class action.

"We don't want to force anyone into it," she said. "We want to help them to tell their stories if they want them told."

Neither the claims in the lawsuit nor the criminal charges against Nadon have been proven in court.

Student attacked in dormitory sues UBC .
VANCOUVER - A young woman whose throat was slashed inside a University of British Columbia student residence has filed a lawsuit against the school alleging negligence. The notice of civil claim says Mary Hare was inside her room in Salish House in October 2016 when international student Thamer Almestadi entered carrying a knife. Almestadi's trial heard he knocked on the 19-year-old's door, slit her throat and started choking her before other students pulled him off.A court found the teen not criminally responsible because he was suffering from a psychotic episode in which he believed the Qur'an had sent him a message to kill Hare.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
This is interesting!