Canada Firefighters battle more than 200 forest fires so far this season

18:52  11 july  2018
18:52  11 july  2018 Source:   cbc.ca

Ontario residents evacuated over forest fire risk return home

  Ontario residents evacuated over forest fire risk return home TORONTO - The mayor of a northern Ontario community says residents have been allowed to return to homes they were forced to leave earlier this week as forest fires burned nearby. But Lorie Hunter, the mayor of Temagami, Ont., says there are still 19 active forest fires near the community and residents know they could be asked to leave their homes again if the situation changes. Hunter says 20 homes were involved in the evacuation that took place on Sunday, and says the entire town is watching the situation.

Firefighters across Southern California are still battling wildfires under explosive fire conditions. The governor said the prolonged fire season is becoming the norm. Overall, the six blazes have burned more than 200 ,000 acres and forced more than 98,000 residents from their homes.

About 60 forest fires took hold across Portugal on Saturday night, with 1,700 firefighters battling to put them out. The country was hit by a series of fires last year which devastated more than 100,000 hectares (247,000 acres) of the mainland.

a group of people standing on top of a hill: A June 2017 file photo of firefighters battling a forest fire near Welsford. Crews fought separate forest fires in the province on Monday.© Shane Fowler/CBC A June 2017 file photo of firefighters battling a forest fire near Welsford. Crews fought separate forest fires in the province on Monday.

After more than 200 forest fires this year, New Brunswick's fire prevention officer is hoping for rain and cooler temperatures to slow things down.

Since April, fire crews have put out 208 fires across the province, including two fires earlier this week.

A lighting strike ignited a blaze south of Mount Carleton Provincial Park that grew to three hectares, according to the Department of Energy and Resource Development spokesman.

The other fire, in Bantalor, about 35 kilometres west of Chipman, reached five hectares Monday.

Moncton fire department investigates string of fires that could be 'suspicious'

  Moncton fire department investigates string of fires that could be 'suspicious' The Moncton Fire Department is investigating what could be four suspicious fires that broke out late Thursday afternoon. Platoon Chief Brian Gaudet, of the Moncton Fire Department, said four fires broke out in the span of about an hour and within a kilometre of each other.

Many have been working around the clock to contain the monster fires that have killed 40 people so far , destroyed at least 5,700 properties and laid waste to more than 200 ,000 acres of land. One Helitack crew, brought in from Bakersfield last Wednesday

More than 600 firefighters from across Canada and the northeastern United States are in Quebec, battling forest fires sparked by the hot, dry weather conditions. Since the end June, more than 200 firefighters have been called in from Saskatchewan, Alberta, Massachusetts and from Parks Canada

The fire watch website said those two fires are still being patrolled by the Department of Energy and Resource Development.

"The drought has basically been building all spring," Roger Collett said. "We're getting there. It's not terrible yet."

New Brunswick has sent a contingent of 42 firefighters, including 15 students, to Quebec to help fight large forest fires in the Baie Comeau area, more than 400 kilometres northeast of Quebec City.

They joined the more than 600  firefighters from across Canada and the northeastern United States.

a view of a city: Thick smoke covers the Quebec town of Ville-Marie, northwest of Ottawa, due to a forest fire burning nearby.© Tanya Neveu/Radio-Canada Thick smoke covers the Quebec town of Ville-Marie, northwest of Ottawa, due to a forest fire burning nearby.

The New Brunswick firefighters are in their second week in Quebec and are expected to return home to New Brunswick by the weekend or Monday.

B.C. struggles a year after wildfires

  B.C. struggles a year after wildfires B.C. struggles a year after wildfiresCache Creek Mayor John Ranta recalls a fire breaking out on July 6 near the Ashcroft First Nation and sweeping across the countryside the following day, as strong winds propelled it from the horizon to directly opposite the village office in about 20 minutes.

Exclusive: The number of forest fires in the EU has more than doubled so far this year, according to figures obtained by Euronews, affecting an area twice the Experts have blamed climate change for the rise, saying it has extended the traditional wildfire season and increased the frequency of blazes.

More than 60,000 Chinese firefighters were mobilized to suppress the fire . By the end of the Black Dragon’s siege, more than 250 people were injured, and 200 were dead. 3 million acres of forest land were burned, equalling to one-third of a Chinese Forest Reserve.

"Usually, before we send anybody, we make sure that we're covered here [and] we can handle anything that happens," he said.

If any more requests come in for firefighters, Collett said he'd have to reassess the situation.

"Pretty much every year we have requests to have crews to go outside the province," Collett said. "We know this is coming every year so plans are put in place."

Burn ban still in effect

Most of the New Brunswick fires have been small this year.

A burn ban is still in effect across the province, but rain on Tuesday could allow the province to move to restricted or open burning in some areas of the province.

"The cooler temperatures in the next couple of days are definitely a benefit for us," he said.

Burn bans cover areas outside municipalities. Towns and cities regulate their own burning, and registered campgrounds are exempt from burn bans.

Collett said conservation officers have been keeping watch across the province, but there are still reports of people starting fires when they shouldn't.

RCMP report finds 29 B.C. wildfires were arson

  RCMP report finds 29 B.C. wildfires were arson SURREY, B.C. - An RCMP task force says 29 wildfires are believed to have been deliberately set in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley over the last four years. A report from the task force shows the first two suspicious fires were set on July 7, 2014 in Naramata and Penticton and 10 more were set that year across the Okanagan. In all, eight cities and towns in the region were affected and Staff Sgt. Annie Linteau says other fires include seven sparked between July and August 2015, three set in 2016 and four last year.

The Detwiler fire has so far burned more than 45,000 acres and destroyed eight structures. According to media reports, the fire has so far burned five acres of land, and four firefighters have been injured while battling the fire .

The fire was difficult to control and scorched more than 8,000 hectares, according to Spanish TV reports. East St. Louis Firefighters Struggle - Продолжительность: 9:11 Fire Cam 1 065 203 просмотра.

Most of the fires this year have been accidental. Some have started with people burning brush and not realizing how quickly a fire can get away from them. Fires have have also been sparked by dry weather and lightning.

Fewer last year

Last year, Collett said, New Brunswick has seen about 60 fires by this time.

"We didn't have a lot of fires," he said.

Fire season officially starts the third Monday of April, but there were about two fires a few days before the season opened this year.

  • Air tankers help control two forest fires
  • Quebec firefighters call for reinforcements as forests burn
  • UNESCO recognizes Canadian forest area .
    UNESCO recognizes Canadian forest areaPimachiowin Aki — an Ojibwa phrase that means 'the land that gives life' — has been deemed a world heritage site by the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization, or UNESCO.

    —   Share news in the SOC. Networks

    Topical videos:

    This is interesting!