Money Can I reclaim the withholding tax on my U.S. stocks?

12:35  05 march  2018
12:35  05 march  2018 Source:   MoneySense

Warren Buffett letter: 3 tips for stock investors

  Warren Buffett letter: 3 tips for stock investors Warren Buffett, in his annual letter to shareholders, shares advice for stock investors.BRK.

Taxation of dividend income from US stocks depends on where you hold them.

Which foreign stock markets can I invest in? What is an American depositary receipt (ADR) or a Global depositary receipt (GDR)? If you’ve had too much withholding tax (WHT) deducted from your foreign dividends, you can often reclaim the overpayment.

a close up of a flag© Used with permission of / © Rogers Media Inc. 2018.

Q. I own U.S. stocks and Canadian stocks in my RRSP and RESP accounts for my kids. I do all the investing myself. I get annual performance statements from the bank that holds my RRSP online account and it shows about $200 in withholding tax. What is this? How can I claim it when I file taxes, and how can I get it back? I heard there was a form called W8 that can help. Is this accurate?

Thanks, Malay

Hi Malay. RRSPs are exempt from U.S. withholding taxes but RESPs and TFSAs are not. This is because the U.S. does not recognize them as tax-deferred registered accounts. Therefore, foreign taxes paid withheld in an RESP or TFSA cannot be recovered.

China punters bet on 'Emperor' Xi after term-limit news

  China punters bet on 'Emperor' Xi after term-limit news Superstitious Chinese investors rushed to buy stock in companies with "emperor" in their names Monday following the latest power boost for President Xi Jinping, who has been likened to a modern-day sovereign. State media said on Sunday that the ruling Communist Party had proposed abolishing rules limiting leaders to two five-year terms, a move that could allow the increasingly powerful Xi to rule indefinitely like an emperor.

This is similar to the withholding taxes taken out of the paycheck of a salaried employee in the U . S . An investor needs to be aware of the impact of such withholding taxes on the effective dividend yield of the foreign stock . Foreign Tax Credit.

There are far too many details to review here, but among the most important is that withholding taxes on dividends are lost if you hold a Canadian mutual fund or ETF of foreign stocks inside an RRSP or TFSA.

If these withholdings were in non-registered accounts, you could reduce your taxes on the foreign income paid to Canada by filing for a foreign tax credit using Schedule 1. This ensures that you don’t pay tax on the same income in both Canada and the foreign jurisdiction. That option, however, is not available when the foreign income is within a registered account for the reasons mentioned above. In a non-registered account, Form W8 can also be filed to reduce the amount of withholding from U.S. dividends.

However,  foreign taxes paid in an RRSP will reduce the amounts of money available for distribution to you on your retirement, so you will pay less tax on the total accumulations when building your pension income.  Bottom line—no need to report anything for the foreign taxes paid in your RRSP now, and there is no immediate recovery of the tax, either.

Preet earns $80,000. Should he max out his TFSA or RRSP?

  Preet earns $80,000. Should he max out his TFSA or RRSP? Ask Bruce: a 30-year investor wonders which plan is rightWe have a winner!  The RRSP should come first in your case, provided I’m correct on a few important assumptions.

How do taxation of U . S . dividends and capital gains work with U . S . stocks held in RRRSPs and TFSAs? And who reports the withholding tax ? So if you own a U . S . stock , as a Canadian resident, there will be 15% withholding tax on any dividends earned.

If you hold your foreign stocks in an Individual Savings Acount (ISA) or Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP), you’re sheltering them from UK tax as much as possible. How to reclaim excess withholding tax .

Another question people in your situation have is whether the capital must be reported on Form T1135 Foreign IncomeVerification Statement. Here’s what you need to know: this form must be filed each year if you own foreign assets with a cost base in excess of $100,000 CAN. However, you don’t have to include the assets if any of the following apply:

  • The property is used primarily for personal use—that is, more than 50% of the time (e.g. a winter getaway)
  • The property is held as part of an active business venture (note, some day traders may be exempt based on this rule, but this is determined case-by-case)
  • The assets are held in a foreign retirement plan or in a Canadian registered plan such as RPPs, PRPPs, RRSPs, RRIFs, RESPs, RDSPs, or TFSAs
  • The assets are held within a Canadian-registered mutual fund

So, by virtue of the third bullet, your foreign investments in your RRSP and your children’s RESP do not have to be reported on T1135.

NewsAlert:Patrick Brown ends bid to reclaim Ont Tory leadership

  NewsAlert:Patrick Brown ends bid to reclaim Ont Tory leadership TORONTO - A senior official with Ontario's Progressive Conservatives says Patrick Brown, the party's ousted leader, has ended his bid to reclaim his former job. Hartley Lefton, the chair of the party's leadership election organizing committee, says he has received a letter from Brown announcing his withdrawal from the race. Brown abruptly resigned from his post in January amid sexual misconduct allegations he denies. His departure plunged the Tories into chaos and triggered a leadership race just months before a provincial election.Brown had launched a bid to relclaim his job earlier this month.

The withholding tax on U . S . dividends paid to Canadians is technically 30%, but this can be reduced to 15% if clients fill out the Internal Revenue Service’s W-8BEN form. When Canadians hold a U . S .-listed ETF of U . S . stocks , they face only Level I foreign withholding taxes .

U . S . withholding taxes apply, but are recoverable. 2) The withholding tax imposed by foreign countries. CDN Mutual Funds or CDN-listed. ETFs that hold a U . S .-listed ETF that holds U . S . stocks . Ž.


  • TFSA and RRSP investing tips for Green Card holders
  • The best way to transfer RESP money to an RRSP
  • Is an RRSP worth it if you’re retiring abroad?
  • How to report capital gains tax owed on gifted shares
  • When using RRSP money for debt is a bad idea
  • How you’re taxed when selling a business to family
  • How much tax do I owe on the sale of collectable wines at auction?
  • Owning Canadian stocks as a U.S. resident

At this pivotal moment for the aging bull market, some smart investors are turning to value stocks and gold .
CNBC asked several Wall Street veterans what advice they would give to average investors with a 12-month time horizon. One Wall Street veteran still recommended stocks, but said investors should expect a smaller gain than last year."I would say simply that those with a one year time horizon should stick with equities although their expectations for returns (particularly from multiple expansion) should be lower," Strategas chairman and CEO Jason DeSena Trennert wrote in an email Thursday.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!