Offbeat Romanian, German archaeologists find 3,400-year-old fortress

14:01  08 august  2018
14:01  08 august  2018 Source:   msn.com

7,000-year-old Maya remains found in Mexico

  7,000-year-old Maya remains found in Mexico The remains of an ancient civilisation have been discovered by archaeologists in Mexico. The bones are thought to be up to 7,000 years old, placing them at around the time when humans shifted from being hunters to a more sedentary lifestyle, the experts say.The three Maya skeletons were found in the Puyil cave, which is in the Tacotalpa municipality of Tabasco state, located in southern Mexico.One set is up to 7,000 years old, while the other two are thought to date back around 4,000 years.The remains are on display in Mexico City.

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — Romanian and German archaeologists have discovered a prehistoric fortress dating back as far as 3 , 400 years in western Romania .

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — Romanian and German archaeologists have discovered a prehistoric fortress dating back as far as 3 , 400 years in western Romania .

In this image made June 18, 2018, a fresh excavation reveals what is said to be a prehistoric fortress near the town of Santana, north western Romania. Romanian and German archeologists have discovered a prehistoric fortress dating back as far as 3,400 years in western Romania, described for the The Associated Press by archaeologist Florin Gogaltan as © The Associated Press In this image made June 18, 2018, a fresh excavation reveals what is said to be a prehistoric fortress near the town of Santana, north western Romania. Romanian and German archeologists have discovered a prehistoric fortress dating back as far as 3,400 years in western Romania, described for the The Associated Press by archaeologist Florin Gogaltan as "one of the biggest prehistoric fortresses in Europe in the Bronze Age." (AP Photo/Florin Gogaltan)

BUCHAREST, Romania — Romanian and German archaeologists have discovered a prehistoric fortress dating back as far as 3,400 years in western Romania.

German Court Awards Farmer $1 Million for 2000-Year-Old Bronzed Horse Head Found in His Well

  German Court Awards Farmer $1 Million for 2000-Year-Old Bronzed Horse Head Found in His Well He was originally paid $55,946.The gold leaf–covered head, which weighs about 55 pounds and measures 20 inches long, had likely been part of a larger statue, as indicated by a bronzed foot found nearby. Experts believe the horse's rider was Augustus, Rome's emperor at the turn of the first millennium CE. The head had been preserved under water at the bottom of a 36-foot well for years, making the find even more remarkable.

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) - Romanian and German archeologists have discovered a prehistoric fortress dating back as far as 3 , 400 years in western Romania . He said German archaeologists helped with financing and specialized equipment.

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) - Romanian and German archeologists have discovered a prehistoric fortress dating back as far as 3 , 400 years in western Romania . He said German archaeologists helped with financing and specialized equipment.

Archaeologist Florin Gogaltan told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the find represented "one of the biggest prehistoric fortresses in Europe in the Bronze Age."

Gogaltan, a researcher at the Archaeology Institute in Cluj northwestern Romania, said the team used specialized archaeological magnetic equipment to take underground measurements. Last week, they completed a dig uncovering 55 hectares (135 acres) of the 80-hectare (198-acre) site, built between 1,400 B.C. and 1,200 B.C., located near the town of Santana, and plan to continue next year.

Gogaltan worked with Rudiger Krause, a professor at Goethe University in Frankfurt, and Gogaltan said German archaeologists helped with financing and specialized equipment.

Romanian archaeologists first began to excavate the site in 2009.

___

This story has been corrected to show that the spelling of the archaeologist last name is Gogaltan, not Golgatan.

German tourist shot in the head now listed in stable condition .
The 60-year-old man had been listed in critical condition in hospital since the Aug. 2 shooting and he has undergone successful surgery. The man was driving a Dodge Durango on Highway 1A near Morley — about 55 kilometres west of Calgary — with his wife, son and son's girlfriend inside when he was struck by a bullet, causing the SUV to veer off the road and crash into a stand of trees. The three others suffered minor injuries and the man was flown to hospital in Calgary by STARS Air Ambulance.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!