The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later

Sports Broncos add 10 players via SJHL dispersal draft

05:06  12 june  2018
05:06  12 june  2018 Source:   thestarphoenix.com

Saskatchewan native Stephenson to bring Stanley Cup to Humboldt

  Saskatchewan native Stephenson to bring Stanley Cup to Humboldt Chandler Stephenson already knows what he's doing for his day with the Stanley Cup. The Washington Capitals forward and Saskatoon native plans to bring hockey's Holy Grail back to his home province, and more specifically, the community of Humboldt. Humboldt, of course, is the home of the SJHL's Broncos, who were involved in the bus collision in April that resulted in the deaths of 16 people on board and injured 13 others. © Bruce Bennett / Getty Images Sport / Getty "I knew a couple of the guys on the bus, so it's one of those things that I want to do for those guys and the people of Humboldt," Stephenson told Scott Oake of "Hockey Night in Canada.

SJHL will hold dispersal draft for Humboldt Broncos . While the Broncos will go ahead and once again play in the league next season, their roster has been decimated by the bus crash on April 6 that left 16 people dead, including 10 players (Conner Lukan, Jacob Leicht, Jaxon Joseph, Evan Thomas

The Broncos are rebuilding after the April 6 bus crash that claimed 16 lives, including 10 players . SJHL will hold dispersal draft for Humboldt Broncos .

061018-LAC_NLL_Knighthawks_Rush_20180609: The Broncos, who have announced that they’ll definitely play in 2018-19, held a camp in Saskatoon at the end of May. © Liam Richards The Broncos, who have announced that they’ll definitely play in 2018-19, held a camp in Saskatoon at the end of May.

The Humboldt Broncos added fresh legs to their depleted roster Monday.

The Broncos selected one player from each Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League team — with a couple of exceptions — as part of a dispersal draft aimed at helping them re-stock their roster, in the wake of an April 6 crash that killed 16 people on the team bus.

Ten of them were players, and most of the survivors have either used up their eligibility or won’t be able to play because of injuries.

The Flin Flon Bombers were exempted from the draft, while the Estevan Bruins will supply a player in the future.

RCMP preparing to talk charges in Broncos bus crash

  RCMP preparing to talk charges in Broncos bus crash RCMP preparing to talk charges in Broncos bus crashPolice say they are still investigating the April 6 collision. They have previously said that a semi-trailer unit was in a rural Saskatchewan intersection when the truck and the junior hockey team's bus collided while the Broncos were on their way to a playoff game in Nipawin.

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League is still ironing out the final details for a league dispersal draft to help the Humboldt Broncos next season. The Broncos ’ roster was decimated by a bus crash that left 16 people dead, including 10 players , and 13 others injured.

# SJHL still ironing out details for dispersal draft to help Humboldt Broncos http Tweet with a location. You can add location information to your Tweets, such as your city or precise location, from the web and via third-party applications.

The Melfort Mustangs gave up two players — Eric McNeilly and Ayden Third — and other incoming players include Connor Smith (Battleford), Bryson Cecconi (Kindersley), Shane Hounsell (La Ronge), Ethan Kopyczyn (Melville), Ahmed Ally (Notre Dame), Austin Mikesch (Nipawin), Jessie Young (Weyburn) and Kyle Sargent (Yorkton).

Those 10 players join a Broncos team working to rebuild in the wake of the crash. The Broncos, who have announced that they’ll definitely play in 2018-19, held a camp in Saskatoon at the end of May.

They also made seven selections in the recent SJHL bantam draft, choosing Saskatoon’s Karter McNarland with their first pick, eighth overall. McNarland collected 24 goals, 41 assists and 65 points in 23 games for the Saskatoon Bantam AA Generals this past season.

McNarland was also selected in the seventh round of the WHL bantam draft by the Kamloops Blazers.

Meanwhile, the team continues its search for a head coach and general manager to replace Darcy Haugan, who died in the crash. Haugan is one of three finalists for the NHL’s Willie O’Ree Community Hero Award. The winner will be announced at the NHL Awards on June 20.

kemitchell@postmedia.com

twitter.com/kmitchsp

Report: Doncic still 'strong candidate' to go to Kings at No. 2 .
Report: Doncic still 'strong candidate' to go to Kings at No. 2Slovenian phenom Luka Doncic has largely been absent from the conversation about the Kings' ambitions with the second pick, with some reports suggesting they aren't high on the 19-year-old EuroLeague MVP. But Doncic remains a "strong candidate" to get drafted by Sacramento, sources told Yahoo's Chris Mannix.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
This is interesting!