Sports Conor is back: UFC says McGregor will fight Oct. 6 in Vegas

05:47  04 august  2018
05:47  04 august  2018 Source:   msn.com

Mixed martial arts star McGregor returns to court for NYC melee

  Mixed martial arts star McGregor returns to court for NYC melee Mixed martial arts star McGregor returns to court for NYC meleeAt McGregor's last court appearance, prosecutors said they were negotiating a plea deal with him and his co-defendant, Cian Cowley, also an Irish fighter.

Conor McGregor will return to mixed martial arts on Oct . 6 in Las Vegas for a title bout against UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.

The UFC says Conor McGregor will return to mixed martial arts with a bout against lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov on Oct . 6 in Las Vegas .

a man wearing a suit and tie© Provided by thecanadianpress.com LOS ANGELES - Conor McGregor will return to mixed martial arts on Oct. 6 in Las Vegas for a title bout against UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.

The UFC dramatically announced the matchup Friday with a promotional video to close a news conference promoting its slate of fight cards for the rest of 2018.

"The fight is done," UFC President Dana White said.

McGregor (21-3) simultaneously held the featherweight and lightweight championship belts during his meteoric UFC career, but he hasn't fought in MMA since taking the 155-pound lightweight belt from Eddie Alvarez in November 2016. The loquacious Irishman hasn't competed at all since losing his lucrative boxing match against Floyd Mayweather in August 2017, and his UFC lightweight title was stripped and subsequently claimed by Nurmagomedov in April.

MMA star Conor McGregor back in court amid melee plea talks

  MMA star Conor McGregor back in court amid melee plea talks Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor is due in court amid plea negotiations to resolve charges stemming from a backstage melee at a New York City arena.The 30-year-old Irish fighter is expected to be joined Thursday in Brooklyn by his 25-year-old friend and co-defendant Cian (KEE'-uhn) Cowley.Video showed what appeared to be McGregor hurling a hand truck at a bus full of fighters after a news conference for the UFC 223 event at Brooklyn's Barclays Center in April.Two fighters hurt by broken glass were unable to compete.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Conor McGregor will return to mixed martial arts on Oct . 6 in Las Vegas for a title bout against UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.

LOS ANGELES -- Conor McGregor will return to mixed martial arts on Oct . 6 in Las Vegas for a "The fight is done," UFC President Dana White said . McGregor (21-3) simultaneously held the from a 23-month break in MMA competition, but McGregor has never backed down from a challenge.

McGregor and Nurmagomedov will meet in the main event of the UFC 229 pay-per-view show at T-Mobile Arena, the same spot where Mayweather stopped McGregor in the 10th round of their one-sided prizefight.

McGregor also has resolved his legal troubles after throwing a hand truck at a bus containing UFC fighters during a one-man rampage last April at Brooklyn's Barclays Center. Nurmagomedov was the intended target of McGregor's wrath after a previous spat between the fighters' camps.

Nurmagomedov (26-0), who wasn't actually on the bus, won the vacant lightweight belt by beating Al Iaquinta in Brooklyn two days after McGregor's attack, which injured uninvolved fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg. McGregor was arrested, but was sentenced last month to perform five days of community service, avoiding jail time in a plea deal.

MMA star Conor McGregor back in court amid melee plea talks

  MMA star Conor McGregor back in court amid melee plea talks NEW YORK - Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor is due in court amid plea negotiations to resolve charges stemming from a backstage melee at a New York City arena. The 30-year-old Irish fighter is expected to be joined Thursday in Brooklyn by his 25-year-old friend and co-defendant Cian (KEE'-uhn) Cowley. Video showed what appeared to be McGregor hurling a hand truck at a bus full of fighters after a news conference for the UFC 223 event at Brooklyn's The 30-year-old Irish fighter is expected to be joined Thursday in Brooklyn by his 25-year-old friend and co-defendant Cian (KEE'-uhn) Cowley.

6 in Las Vegas . McGregor hasn't fought in the UFC since taking the lightweight belt from Eddie Alvarez in November 2016. LOS ANGELES — Conor McGregor will return to mixed martial arts on Oct .

Dana White discusses Brock Lesnar vs Jon Jones, says Conor vs Khabib will happen in Las Vegas not Russia. Also says he likes Nate Diaz vs Kevin Lee, addresses Ben Askren competing in UFC . Conor McGregor 's Most Badass Moments - Продолжительность: 18:58 Fight Focus 4 054 245 просмотров.

Nurmagomedov, the Dagestan-born Russian champion, has been one of the pound-for-pound greats of MMA when healthy, racking up 10 consecutive victories since joining the UFC.

McGregor and Nurmagomedov weren't at the Orpheum Theatre in downtown Los Angeles along with the other headlining fighters of the autumn cards, but the announcement of their bout set off wild cheering among the fans.

Nurmagomedov is a formidable challenger for McGregor in a return from a 23-month break in MMA competition, but McGregor has never backed down from a challenge.

Once McGregor resolved to return to the octagon earlier this year, Nurmagomedov was the obvious choice to be his next opponent — but the biggest obstacle to this bout appeared to be money. Negotiations for this bout dragged on for many weeks while McGregor argued a highly lucrative deal, even demanding an ownership stake in the UFC in exchange for returning to the cage, and Nurmagomedov also asked for a hefty raise.

Plea deal opens the door for Conor McGregor to return for UFC's biggest fight in years — but he will have to attend anger management class

  Plea deal opens the door for Conor McGregor to return for UFC's biggest fight in years — but he will have to attend anger management class Getty Images Conor McGregor pled guilty to one charge of disorderly conduct on Thursday for his bizarre bus attack that took place in April. McGregor had all of the felony charges dropped and will now only serve a few days of community service and anger management classes as his punishment.The deal also means that McGregor could return to the octagon sooner, rather than later, especially for a bout with current lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, which could go down as one of the biggest in the history of the UFC.

UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor trains during an open workout at his gym on August 12, 2016 in Las Vegas , Nevada, ahead of his rematch with Conor McGregor (left) is held back by UFC president Dana White during weigh-ins for UFC 196 fight against Nate Diaz (not pictured) at MGM

Team Conor McGregor says Khabib Nurmagomedov fight is building; Ben Askren reacts to Dillon Danis - Продолжительность: 3:27 The Best of UFC Khabib will not fíght Conor McGregor in Russia if that fíght happens it'll be in Vegas ,Lee,Danis - Продолжительность: 6 :24 MMA WORLD 297 650

White didn't disclose terms of the deal that was reached. McGregor didn't immediately react to the bout announcement on social media.

Earlier in the news conference, the UFC also promoted the long-awaited return of Nate Diaz, who memorably split two bouts with McGregor in 2016. The popular Diaz (19-11) hasn't fought since that majority-decision loss to McGregor in August 2016, but he agreed to fight Dustin Poirier in a lightweight bout in New York at UFC 230 on Nov. 3.

"It's time to go, so it's time to go," Diaz said.

Although Diaz alluded to unspecified legal troubles that kept him out of action, the veteran brawler also had waited two years in hopes of getting a highly lucrative third fight with McGregor.

Diaz didn't seem happy about the surprise announcement of McGregor's next bout.

"I'm not fighting on that show," Diaz tweeted moments after stepping off stage, adding an expletive directed toward the UFC.

___

Follow Greg Beacham on Twitter: www.twitter.com/gregbeacham

‘I’m Not Fighting On That Show, F—k The UFC’ .
‘I’m Not Fighting On That Show, F—k The UFC’After being brought out late on stage to a wave of cheers, Diaz squared off with lightweight contender Dustin Poirier. The two are scheduled to lock horns at UFC 230 this November from inside Madison Square Garden in New York City.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!